Saturday, May 9, 2009

KC Corporate Challenge/my boy can swim!!!

Today was my first entry into the KCCC. I registered for KCCC on a whim a few weeks ago, without any real plans to compete. But I got an email from a coordinator asking me to run the 5K today at Shawnee Mission Park. (Wish I could say that it was due to my awesome running prowess, but actually they needed another woman in my age bracket.) So I thought, "Why not? What do I have to lose besides my dignity and possibly the use of my legs for a couple of days?" It was a tough 5k, with the last 2 miles going uphill. Not sure how I finished, because the timer broke earlier that morning, and I didn't wear a watch. Ah, well.

Since the race was at Shawnee Mission Park, I had stashed the shibas in the car so we could visit the dog park afterward. They had a blast as usual. (And Taylor only disappeared for about 10 minutes this time, which is at least an improvement.) Taylor also surprised me by diving into the lake...the boy can swim!!! I didn't think shibas would do that; Aki certainly won't. He was trying to steal a neon orange bumper from a big chocolate lab. Wish I had brought towels...

UPDATE: Someone WAS timing the race: I came in at 26:20; 18th place out of 146 women in my age group. As for Hallmark, we had more competitors than any other company, & we finished in third place overall among division A companies. Cool!

No comments:

Post a Comment