Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Japan-America Society Presentation

Tonight I was honored to be a guest speaker at the monthly JAS meeting. When I was first approached about the idea a few months back, I knew exactly what my topic would be: the phenomenon of character design in Japan and the nuances in character use between Japanese & American societies. Lord knows I have enough photos to illustrate the topic! It gave me a good chance to do some real research into a topic I'm already passionate about. It was very well-received, too; Patty said it was the best attended meeting yet, and there were some great questions from the group. Fran Lemery, the director of the annual Greater Kansas City Japan Festival approached me afterward to see if I'd present again at the festival on October 2. 行くぞ!  
...I may conquer this fear-of-public-speaking thing yet!
This was my screensaver before & after the presentation...
1000s of character photos!
Sachie met me & handed me a lovely note full of
handmade paper dolls that double as bookmarks.
Before the meeting, I was treated to a relaxing stroll through the rose garden & all around Loose Park, where the meeting was held. And afterward, to a great dinner & live Jazz performance by the Brian Hicks Quartet at Jardine's. とても楽しかったですよ。Review:

No comments:

Post a Comment