Friday, July 9, 2010

Shameless plug for Garmin

   It's not as if I try to hide my geekiness for gadgets, but I have to say, this Garmin GPS unit was as fun as it was functional. David & Olivia generously loaned it to me for both weeks that I was on vacation (Maine & New Mexico), ensuring my survival. I just kept the device in the pocket of my cargo pants & was able to check my course & mark landmarks in case I got lost. It shows a trip odometer, maximum speed, total ascent, etc.
   Here you can see the route I took around Jordan Pond, hitting 4 peaks: Penobscot, Sargent, and both Bubbles.
And the 5th peak, The Beehive. (I also marked the Inn just in case.)
   Unless cell phone technology progresses to a point where it has all these features, I'll have to invest in a Garmin before my next hiking trip...

No comments:

Post a Comment