Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Heaven, thy name is Broadmoor Bistro

    Tonight Kelly graciously came by to let the dogs out and feed them so that I could race to the 5:30 yoga class. Even the 6:30 class is difficult for me to catch, by the time I fight traffic coming out of downtown, stop home, feed the dogs, let the dogs out, change clothes, bring the dogs in, and race back to the gym. (Is it just me, or is that a workout in itself?!)
   Britten's class was awesome as always. Fun and challenging. Especially when you're transitioning from plank into a tough pose like crocodile and she intentionally tries to make you laugh: "Lower SLOWLY. Still lowering... now hover... still hovering... if you're already on the floor, smile, press your hands into the floor and PRETEND you're hovering..."
   After class, Britten and I dashed into the locker room to change, then headed to Broadmoor Bistro to meet up with Nicole for dinner. Neither of them had dined there before, so I was very excited for them to try it.
   We had such a great time—it was nice to have a girls dinner and we quickly got wrapped up in the food and the great conversation and completely lost track of time... and at 8:45 they lowered the lights and practically shoved us out the door. There was one other party there with us, so we weren't alone, but of course we felt bad to stay so late (the restaurant is run by high school students). We apologized and left a nice tip. I just hope we didn't piss off Bob Brassard to the point where he'll cancel my reservation if he sees my name pop up again. (Think he has my photo at the register with a note that says, "DO NOT SERVE THIS GIRL"?! The student chefs said he was very irritated.)
   Anyway, as always, the exquisite selections on the menu made it difficult to choose. But in the end, I went with:
Napoli Flat Bread
Caramelized Red Onions, Roasted Mushrooms, Goat Cheese
Tagliatelle “Ragu”
Slow Braised Veal Cheeks, Porcini Mushrooms, Sage Butter
Age Gouda
Chili – Garlic Grilled Prawns
Coconut Tapioca, Sesame Glazed Long Beans
Bananas Foster 
Pan Pardu, Bacon Caramel, Brandied Bananas
Vanilla Bean Ice Cream
   Everything was as good as it sounds... the creamy goat cheese on the bruschetta, the incredibly rich and smooth sage butter sauce on the pasta, the tasty-spicy shrimp. But the bananas foster... my knees are still quivering. It was like hot, melty french toast with caramel and sweet, warm, caramelized bananas. WOW.
   Any calories I may have burned off in yoga were right back.
   And they were so, so worth it.

No comments:

Post a Comment