Saturday, February 12, 2011

Westminster dog show

   I happened to have the TV on & caught a commercial for Westminster, which is this Monday & Tuesday. I love to watch and root for my favorite breeds (Shiba Inu, Golden Retriever, Finnish Spitz, Canaan Dog, Karelian Bear Dog (not yet recognized by AKC), Border Collie, Saluki, Long-haired Dachshund, Akita, Siberian Husky, Staffordshire Bull Terrier and Belgian Sheepdog) despite the fact that the the Poodles, Bichon Frise and Pekingese ALWAYS seem to win their groups.
   I was on the kennel club's site to get the information on the broadcast and checked out the Shiba page too. Here's what it says:
   "Though small in stature, Shiba Inu are brave and determined dogs. Originally bred to flush birds and small game, and occasionally used to hunt wild boar, they are now kept primarily as pets. However, they have a strong predisposition to escape at any opportunity. They can never be reliably trained to return when called, nor can they ever be trusted off lead. They also tend to be dog aggressive, so care must be taken to protect them and to protect other dogs from them. They are a healthy, intelligent breed, constantly providing challenges to their owners."
   It made me scratch my head a bit as to why I would put myself through the challenge of a breed that I knew was going to be trouble. But, of course, I adore my little troublemakers!
   They say people usually have something in common with their dogs... Hmmm.... "Though small in stature, Shiba Inu are brave and determined." Yeah, I don't know what they're talking about either.  ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment