Friday, March 11, 2011

B.O.B. = WOW

   Recently I learned that B.O.B. & One Republic were going to be performing in KC on March 11. And then I found out that Bruno Mars and Janelle Monae were coming in May. Aaaaand so was Diddy - Dirty Money. And I learned all this in the same week!
Hmmmm... which one should I attend?
Yeah, duh. ALL OF THEM!
   So B.O.B. and One came to the James C. Olson Performing Arts Center on the UMKC campus tonight. Both were such big names that I wasn't sure who would be the headliner. (B.O.B. was, though I think OR is too good to be opening for anybody!)
Image from ULCollective
  One Republic's setlist included all their big hits: "All the Right Moves," "Secrets," "Stop and Stare," and an awesome medley of the classic "Stand By Me" with the White Stripes' "Seven Nation Army" and Justin Timberlake's "Sexy Back."  WOW.
   Ryan Tedder has a completely amazing voice; the smoothness of Tom Chaplin of Keane, and the power of Paul Meany of Mutemath. They had great stage presence and I was completely wrapped up in them.
     And now for something almost completely different! B.O.B. commanded the stage with charisma, a great voice, and the ability to rap with incredible speed and intensity. You almost couldn't hear it fast enough—pretty sure he broke the speed of sound. I was stunned! He interacted with the crowd a lot, and made me wish I'd brought in my sunglasses to play along.
   I didn't keep track of his setlist, but he played pretty much everything from his latest album, The Adventures of Bobby Ray. Few rappers got anythin' on him.
  If I had any complaint about the show, it was that it was held in a gymnasium at UMKC—not the Performing Arts Center as had been stated, so the floors couldn't have been less comfortable to stand on for hours. And the bass was turned up SO high that I felt like I got a free, unnecessary defibrillator treatment out of the show. It literally left me a little breathless. The room was absolutely packed, and we were crammed up against the stage, but I never felt unsafe. A tall, thin guy next to me saw that I was having trouble seeing and moved me in front of him, and kind of protected me from accidental elbow blows to the face, so you've gotta love that. 
   Much to love at this concert. I'd see either or both of these acts again in a heartbeat!

No comments:

Post a Comment