Monday, March 28, 2011

Desperation Dinner Challenge

   I've basically been out of town for a couple of weeks, if you count the long weekend of backpacking and the trip to Breckenridge. So my fridge is pretty much bare. Yet I could not bring myself to go to the store today... just wasn't in the mood. And because I was planning to catch up on last week's episode of Top Chef, taking on the "desperation dinner challenge" seemed fitting. Here's how I play: dig through the fridge, freezer and cupboards and throw together a delicious yet unplanned meal from whatever ingredients I can find.
   I had no fresh produce, but I did find plenty to make a meal:
   So dinner became carrot-ginger soup with candied cashews, sweet and sour tilapia filets, spicy chili-garlic vegetable gyoza, and brown rice. I wish I had fresh cilantro for a garnish, and fresh green beans to make chili-soy-glazed green beans. As it was, the meal was delicious yet monochromatic. Ah, well. I'll have to do a better job of not planning ahead next time!

No comments:

Post a Comment