Monday, August 1, 2011

The Trivial Trials of Travel

   I love traveling. (Tell you something I don't know, right?) But I generally don't love the "getting there" part of traveling, particularly when it involves air travel. The whole air system has worked hard to earn its reputation as being expensive, stressful and unreliable. Actually, I've had mostly good experiences lately, but given that I almost didn't make it TO, and then also FROM Alaska because both United and Continental claimed that I cancelled my own reservations (wha?), and then these US Airlines delays out of Charleston and out of Pittsburgh to get back to KC, I have a little room to complain.
   I got home over an hour late last night, bleary-eyed but thankful to have made it safely. This morning I woke up to a news story about US Airlines pilots' union intentionally slowing down flights. And I got to be an unwitting victim last night. Lucky me.
   Although I will say that I do agree with a comedy routine by Louis C.K. that I heard recently on our local comedy radio station, 102.5:

   (Sniveling passenger) "I had to sit on the runway for 40 minutes."
   "Oh my god, really? What happened then, did you fly through the air like a bird, incredibly? Did you soar into the clouds, impossibly? Did you partake in the miracle of human flight and then land softly on giant tires that you couldn't even conceive how they f**king put air in them? How dare you!"
   (Sniveling passenger) "I had to pay for my sandwich."
   "YOU'RE FLYING!  You're sitting in a chair in the sky. You're like a Greek myth right now."
   (Sniveling passenger) "It doesn't go back very far... and it's squishing my knees." 

   Point taken. Shutting up.

No comments:

Post a Comment