Saturday, April 13, 2013

Paws & Pawsta

   I spent my morning drawing dozens of cats and dogs for Healdsburg, a humane society out in Sonoma. (Big thanks to Renee for hooking me up with this job—it is so fun!) It's a first-annual-event called Paws & Pawsta; an Italian dinner with wine (it's Sonoma, after all).
   I went with inking so the drawings would have a natural, shaky quality that's unique to me. I haven't hand-inked linework in forevs, but man am I enjoying it! It felt good to be using real pens on real Bristol board, on the light table my dad built for me when I was in college.
   Next I scanned the  pages and pieced the best drawings into a single logo. The event is a first-annual Italian-themed wine dinner to benefit the shelter, in August. And I've been invited to attend!

   It took me hours to piece the drawings; I had to sort through them and determine my favorites. Each one is similar, but with different nuances. I ended up with two different options: one that closely reflected my original sketch, which has already been approved.
   The other was a result of me goofing around at the end of the drawing session, exaggerating the characters to make a funny version.
   Problem is, I really like both! So I'm letting the client choose. I'm guessing the more refined version better fits the event, but maybe they'll like the quirkiness of the other. We'll see what they say. I do know one thing: after 10 hours of working on this, I'm tired! G'night, friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment