Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Chamber Music

   Tonight's program: Schubert's Octet in F Major. Fun group of friends including some favorite usual suspects like Christy, Sawako, and David; the musicians I met at the door were funny (French horn & bassoon players); and the performance was so good I almost needed a cigarette after it. (Right. And I don't smoke.) So I settled for tacos as Los Tules instead.
   I love being close enough to see the expressions on each person's face, and to study their playing style, to get a hint at their personality. Loved watching the strings & the woodwinds answering back and forth in the spirited performance. Chamber music is great because it's easy to isolate and appreciate each individual instrument as well as to hear them as a whole. As usual, blown away by the talent, and a bit jealous. Is it too late for me to take up violin or cello?

No comments:

Post a Comment