Monday, September 9, 2013

Cooking up a storm

   Today one of my generous coworkers, David H, brought me a bag of tomatoes and fresh herbs from his garden. Though I'd intended to spend a quiet evening recovering from Roatan (read: zonking out on the couch), it inspired me to cook a big meal: marinara and spaghetti squash, and roast chicken and vegetables. Yum! So lucky to have such awesome friends. :)
   I forgot to add roasted red pepper to the label, but you can taste it for sure. And the cayenne and red pepper flakes too. I made up the recipe, but it is my best batch of sauce yet! Here's what I did:
- chop the ripe tomatoes and sauté them with olive oil and garlic
- roast carrots with a little olive oil
- separately (they cook faster), roast the red pepper, onion, and garlic 
- when veggies are roasted to carmelized perfection, throw them in the food processor until smooth. Blend with sautéed tomatoes.
- add a can of tomato sauce to thicken 
- add fresh basil, rosemary, thyme, and sage
- stir over low heat as the spaghetti squash roasts (45 min at 425 degrees)
   Eat and enjoy!
   The chicken was adapted from this classic Ina Garten recipe: http://m.foodnetwork.com/recipes/21404 . It's as good as it claims to be, or better. Which is good, because with these quantities, I will be eating this meal for days!

No comments:

Post a Comment