Saturday, October 19, 2013

Divemaster training

   Today I officially began the Divemaster program through Sam's Skin n Scuba in Independence, with whom I traveled to Roatan last month. Who'd have thought back in the frigid Sarasota bay back in February 2010, when I became certified--and while the very idea of diving still terrified me--that I'd be here. KC divers have a saying, which is that Sam could sell ice to an Eskimo. That's true. Sam says, "I may be crude, but I damn sure can teach Scuba." And that is also true. What he does best, though, is assemble a group of fantastic people and talented instructors who make every experience so fun that you naturally can't wait to continue.
   And whatever it is about me that people pick up on that lets them know I'm a leader, Sam & his crew hit me up in Roatan and enticed me to cross the threshold into the professional track of diving. The first step is becoming a DM, which is a leadership role--your focus shifts from yourself to your companions at this level. It's estimated that less than 1% of the population dives, and fewer than 1 in 10 achieve the DM level, and probably even fewer than that in the good ol' landlocked Midwest. It's an achievement just to be asked to enter the program, a well as an honor and a responsibility.
   I know that I will learn critical skills to keep myself and others safe in the water--but more importantly, this is another step in my life's learning and leadership journey. Hard work in store for the next six months, but lots of fun too. And I'm excited to see where this new path will take me...

No comments:

Post a Comment