Sunday, November 10, 2013

Random Encounters: Celebrate the day!

   I always meet amazing strangers when I travel. Thought it might be fun to capture some of what made them memorable in a quick sketch.
   I met Pat at the KC airport, when I was about to plug in my phone to a console, and he kindly alerted me that they weren't working. He had a friendly smile. We both went on about our business.
   At LAX, I deplaned and headed downstairs to wait for my suitcase. There were two unmarked carousels. I positioned myself between them an waited. A minute later, Pat walked past me and motioned, "It's THIS one!" I sold next to him and we chatted while we waited. His upturned mustache and eyes gave him his friendly expression.
   In no more than 5 minutes, my conversation with Pat revealed that he lives in San Diego and was visiting the Midwest to go deer hunting with buddies, and had a successful trip. He carted meat home. Not my thing, but this is:
   He also started Scuba diving in 1966: old school, before many modern standards and equipment. He has been all over the world, and one of his favorite locations is off the coast of San Diego, in the kelp forests. This hit me because Natalie, whom I met in a chance encounter at Skin n Scuba, went diving in the kelp forests of Monterrey while I was in Roatan. It seems the universe may be trying to tell me something...
   I told him I was visiting LA to spend time with my family, including my two young nephews, which I don't get to do nearly often enough.
   "Celebrate the day!", he said happily. And so I shall. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment