Sunday, January 5, 2014

Brave

   It snowed 4"+ overnight. I couldn't convince Dave to go snowboarding with me to take advantage of the fresh pow-pow, but we went rock climbing instead. That's my kind of compromise! :)
   Dave did great at his first try, and scrambled up the wall like a squirrel. He tackled some tough "problems" (the term for a route up the wall, since climbing requires strategy to "solve" them), till both our arms gave out.
   Wikipedia explains: "Rock climbing is a physically and mentally demanding sport, one that often tests a climber's strength, endurance, agility and balance along with mental control. It can be a dangerous sport and knowledge of proper climbing techniques and usage of specialized climbing equipment is crucial for the safe completion of routes." Because it usually doesn't scare me, it made me think when I read that passage. There is really a lot that could go wrong, and it's a test of your wits to put worries aside and focus on what you can control, and to bravely trust in yourself and your abilities, as well as your partner to protect you.
   Also on the subject of bravery, when I woke up this morning I had an email from a friend, who openly shared some very personal thoughts with me. Made my day. I love being surrounded by people who are willing to take risks in the hopes of discovering something great. That is one quality that I can honestly say I see and admire in all my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment