Saturday, January 11, 2014

Divemaster class + DSD!

   We started Divemaster class bright and early, in the classroom with Sam talking through physics and mathematics. Guess who hasn't taken those courses since high school… I'm surprised how well I'm getting it. The science and physiology is very interesting to me; the math, not so much. But they say that which does not kill you makes you stronger, right?
   Today was also my first "real" Scuba instruction experience as a PADI Divemaster candidate! Christy helped me fill up two more classes, and I knew I'd be assisting. But when I arrived, Dan asked me if I would teach… Of course I had him and all of my fellow dive master candidates around me, but I led both sessions. I was a bit nervous of course, but it went really well. Everyone did great and really seemed to take to diving.
   As I've gotten older I've realized that one of my greatest joys in life is teaching someone something new--particularly if it's something they never envisioned themselves doing. Scuba is perfect for that. It's hard to believe that next month will be my fourth anniversary of becoming certified myself. I still only have 40 open water dives under my belt, and am excited by the possibilities to come…

No comments:

Post a Comment