Sunday, January 19, 2014

Longboarding Longshot

   Longboarding was a huge success--much easier than I anticipated. #howisthatpossible #didntbreakanything
   I swear, learning something new, especially something that previously scared you, is the greatest feeling in the world. My parents bought me a skateboard for my birthday when I was a kid. I wanted one because a friend who I looked up to had one. Did I ever learn the ride? No. Was I scared? Yes. I don't remember having the right protective gear to help quell the fear, nor the proper instruction. Amazing how those two critical pieces can help make these seemingly-impossible, possible. It was so nice of my parents to buy the board for me, I just didn't have the confidence to figure it out by myself. I was too afraid of falling and hurting myself. Every time I got on the board, it shot out from under my feet, like I was on ice. I didn't know how to change that.
   Today the four of us just spent an hour and a half and the school parking lot riding around. (No falling--though I was prepared with wrist guards, elbow pads, knee pads, and my Terminator shorts.) What fun! And what good exercise for my legs which were still a little jelly-like since snowboarding yesterday.
   I hope this will become the sport I can practice in the off-season to keep my snowboarding skills up. Thanks for teaching me, Brett! Yay!!!!!!   :)

No comments:

Post a Comment