Sunday, December 7, 2014

Gingerbread masterpieces

   A shot of nog, a little gingerbread, a bunch of friends, a pile of candy, and a ton of fun! I'm so lucky that Tami included me in her gingerbread making party. My work of art, above, ended up inspiring my Christmas card for this year.#ilovechristmas #gingerbreadart 

   There were six gingerbread artists, plus Tami, who made all of the cookies for us in advance, gave us tips and mixed the icing on demand. It takes a lot of royal icing to hold gingerbread together, and you have to hold the pieces of the house together very carefully while the icing sets up. It practically dries as hard as cement, but it is tough to manage in the early stages of applying it come out when it is still thin. My favorite part was decorating the house, after it was assembled.
   The group included Bea & Tyler, Jen K, Mary & Paula, and Robin:
   Yes, we all helped Tami clean up her kitchen afterwards. Turns out royal icing makes a huge mess. That is a LOT of powdered sugar!
   Here is our row of houses. Note to self: bring a prettier, more festive surface on which to build next time. I brought my well-loved pizza pan, which doesn't even look clean, though it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment