Monday, March 23, 2015

Creative process + cartoons

   These cartoons probably won't make any sense to anyone but me and Charlie, but I'm sharing them because they cracked us up. Charlie is a dear friend and former coworker; we were laid off on the same day. Along with Gretchen and Amy, Charlie is a big reason why I have loved going to work the last couple of years. Even in the most frustrating of times, the four of us always had fun. Those three each had a wall of my cartoons displayed in their office... Just like Jeff did, until he retired. It made me so happy to crack them up, and have them want to keep and display my drawings. :)
   We started calling Charlie a yeti after the character named after him in our animation, "Polariffic!". And Charlie made me promise that even though we don't see each other every day, I can never stop sending him cartoons. I agreed to do so, as long as he never stops inspiring me. It was a deal.
   Charlie is married to Phillipe, who we all call the hot French guy, because he is. Charlie coined the phrase "yeti logic" in a recent text conversation, and I think this will be a new series for us.
   A few days ago, we had a conversation about how our stress has melted away now that we are out of the office, and that we have to be careful not to get too comfortable, and never want to go back to work. I asked him where I could find a sugar daddy. And he responded with something like "Bitch, please… He's mine!" And then I said I would arm wrestle him for it. He said it wasn't fair, that I would win because he has the arms of an eight-year-old girl. So I reminded him that I have the entire body of an eight-year-old girl. He said the closest he gets to exercise is lifting his wine glass. So I decided it was time for Charlie to get to work. This is the cartoon that resulted:
   Okay, so you can see how randomly I get my ideas. Welcome to my creative process. ;)
   Similarly, I sent this cartoon to Erik this week, after he told me that his mom was upset with him when he dissected his Sony sports stereo when he was a kid. He likes to take things apart and put them back together… Something beyond my skills. BUT! I can make fun of it.
    It's just a quick sketch, drawn under the table during the resume clinic last Thursday (yes, I swear I was paying attention), but I was pretty happy with the changes in expression and the build to the third panel. As soon as I get my darn portfolio done, I need to get back into sketching every day. It makes me happy, and it sharpens my skills.
   Here's a great video that Madeline shared with me of Takashi Murakami talking about his creative process and character development. http://youtu.be/NR_mFlWWmR0

No comments:

Post a Comment