Friday, May 15, 2015

Drawing raves

   Jeremy Collins has done it again: produced a funny, touching, vibrant and inspiring short film about challenging yourself, true friendship, finding humor in adversity, saying goodbye, the love of family, artistic expression... All the things that matter in life. Jeremy even brought his beautiful and charming family  (his little girl is a total ham!) up on stage with him at the end, to the delight of the hometown crowd.
   He bookended the presentation with the famous quote by René Daumal, the same that Conrad Anker referenced in his lecture at UMKC last month:
"You cannot stay on the summit forever; you have to come down again. So why bother in the first place? Just this: What is above knows what is below, but what is below does not know what is above. One climbs, one sees. One descends, one sees no longer, but one has seen. There is an art of conducting oneself in the lower regions by the memory of what one saw higher up. When one can no longer see, one can at least still know."
   He also began the presentation with the reading of "Oh, the places you'll go!" By Dr. Seuss--which suddenly seemed more profound than I had ever realized.
   One of my favorite thoughts from his film is that "your 20s are for learning, your 30s are for building, and your 40s are for thriving." I relate to that, having learned a lot about life and survival on my own in my 20s; learning and growing as an artist and a leader in my 30s; and now, learning new ways to apply my knowledge as I search for my next career. Consistent feedback from my networking sessions: my resume is impressive, my artwork is strong, and I am smart. In some ways the last few weeks of felt like I am climbing a great mountain; and I hope soon to be scouting my route from above. 
   In Drawn, Jeremy and his crew traveled to Venezuela to scatter his friend's ashes to the south, only to meet with insurmountable challenges. They had to admit defeat and head home. But sure enough, they returned months later and succeeded. Admirable courage and determination, in honor of a great friend.

   Check out this inspiring film. Highly engaging, and relatable to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment