Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Good Neighbors

    It has been an emotional week. Mary had her husband's funeral on Friday. I didn't go, but was there in spirit. Today she brought me the program with his picture and a quote from the Bible he liked: " I shall pass through this world but wants, any good that I can do or any kindness I can show to any human being – let me do it now, for I shall not pass this way again."  Great rule to live by.  Mary was very lucky to have her Luther for nearly 66 years of marriage.  And I'm very lucky to count her among my friends.
    Along with the program, she handed me a folded sheet of paper, which she said that Kayla asked her to give to me. I didn't get to see Kayla and Michael yesterday since I teach on Tuesday mornings. It was an invitation to Kayla's six grade graduation. Nearly brought me to tears that she wants me to attend.  I've been walking nearly every morning since January 2016, and all the people I've met have really made an impression on me.  So many kids love seeing my dogs, and over time I've helped even those who are afraid to build the courage to interact with them. This helps my fearful Aki too.  I think she will always be afraid of new people, but these interactions have really helped her.
    A couple nights ago when I was walking, I was passing one of the most beautiful yards in the neighborhood – I appreciate it every time I walk by. There is lovely stonework framing the yard, and large flower beds full of shrubs and blooms.  For the first time, there was someone out front. He was friendly and immediately came over to say hi to me and the dogs, and introduce himself. Carlos said he has been in the neighborhood about 10 years! Shocked me, because I've been around for 13, and I've walked enough that I am surprised we have never met.  It was such a treat for me to be able to complement him on his landscape design, and to thank him because it benefits all of us in the neighborhood.
    I live in the library district, because we are located behind the counties main library. And our neighborhood association is appropriately called Good Neighbors. and I appreciate them now more than ever, since I have worked at home for over two years.  Proud to be part of such a wonderful community.

No comments:

Post a Comment