Tuesday, October 2, 2012

Yellow Dog Project

   One of my friends/fellow Humane Society volunteers posted this image on Facebook. Not only do I like the drawings, but I love the message.
   I have a reactive dog. Aki was highly fearful and reactive when I adopted her back in September 2007. Her first owner purchased her as a puppy, then proceeded to crate her for up to 16 hours a day, with no socialization. Then she abandoned her at six months of age. So when MSIR picked her up, she knew no one, and was terrified.
   She is SO much better now, five years later: I can take her anywhere. She runs and walks around the neighborhood with me, we kayak, we go for car rides, we go to the dog park, we go to Petsmart, we go to Dog-n-Jog every year with a couple thousand people and dogs packed into the Plaza... you get the idea. She's had countless positive socialization experiences and they've made an enormous impact on her.
   Despite five years of earnest efforts to rehabilitate her, she does NOT like it when people or dogs rush up to her. She stiffens up and bristles, and if the assailant doesn't back off, she may growl. If they try to touch her, she may snap. She would never bite, but she gives a clear warning. Her body language is eminently clear to anyone with a shred of awareness.
   The problem is, too often unsocialized dogs and children are without any awareness of how to properly approach a strange dog. I can't tell you how many dirty looks I've gotten from other dog owners when Aki has growled at their dogs—after their dogs rushed Aki at 1000 mph and nearly bowled her over. I am shocked at how many children haven't been taught by their parents to approach a dog quietly and cautiously, with arm outstretched low, palm UP. They rush up to her, hands high above Aki's head, and go in for a pat on the head or a hug around the neck, then recoil in horror if she growls or snaps at them. They don't realize that in Aki's mind, she has just been attacked.
   Now, I don't approve of Aki's response, but I understand it. And I believe it's just as important for people to educate their children and train their own dogs, as it is for me to work with mine. I'm hoping this yellow ribbon idea catches on, and inspires people to ask questions, so that they can learn a little more about dog behavior and body language, which is important to keeping everyone safer.

No comments:

Post a Comment