Tuesday, December 1, 2009

"Hey You Guys" Benefit

I spent the weekend working on a piece for the Second Annual "Hey You Guys!" charity art auction and movie screening. "Hey You Guys!" is an event that benefits Donors Choose, a charity that provides school supplies for classrooms around the country. Last year they had artwork based on movies like "The Goonies", "The Neverending Story" and "Gremlins." The event will take place this Saturday, December 5th at the Rialto Theater in South Pasadena. The night will include a screening of the classic comedy "Ghostbusters", a raffle, a live DJ, and some other surprises...sure wish I was able to attend!!! (Thanks to Israel Sanchez for inviting me to participate!)


So here's a preview of my creation: a plush with Gizmo the Mogwai on one side, and (if you feed him after midnight) Stripe the Gremlin on the other side! My sketches:

Progress as of about 1 am this morning:
And the finished Gizmo! He's very happy (unlike the movie, in which he's kind of a pill). His ears are posable.
Stripe (about to get pushed into the microwave & cooked!)
And the obligatory "Stripe in the blender" shot:
For inspiration, I watched the film as I was working—it is much goofier than I remembered! Here's what I remember from my childhood: Mom took Kelley & me to see it, along with Kelley's best friend Amy, who got too freaked out right at the beginning of the movie. Mom had to leave the theater with her while Kelley & I enjoyed the movie. (Frankly, I bet Mom was glad to have missed it. Not really her cup o' tea.)

This was a very fun plush to create, and I'm thrilled with how it turned out. Hope it makes a lot of money for the kids! I included a tag to warn the purchaser 1) that they shouldn't get wet; 2) that they hate bright lights; and 3) NEVER, EVER feed them after midnight!

4 comments:

  1. Ooh my! they are both marvellous!! your work is Fantastic.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe my favorite yet ... and I bet you could get even more money for them if you included pics of the Gremlin in the microwave, mixer, etc :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. FANTASTIC!!! this is just brilliant! (I also have work in the show, found your blog through the site) I'll definitely be keeping up with your work! Cheers,
    Shaunna

    ReplyDelete