Tuesday, May 18, 2010

A humbling experience / I (heart) NY

   I thought my trip couldn't get better. An intimate dinner at Nobu where I felt a personal connection with my server Kimiye & the sushi chefs, which would not have happened in the same way had I not studied Japanese. A glorious morning jogging in Central Park. Realizing I am capable of traveling alone—and thoroughly enjoying it. The unexpected treasure of the Kuniyoshi show. Spending the day running around the city with John, and dinner with Derek & Daniel & my new Smilebox friends, Julie & Erika. What a trip!
...But wait--there's more!
 
   I got back from dinner at Rosa Mexicana after midnight and booked Supershuttle to get to the airport in the morning, agonizing over the early departure time (7:10 for an 11:20 flight!) I was pretty wired from the evening's events & had trouble settling down, but I set my Blackberry alarm for 5:40 & finally drifted to sleep around 2:00 am. When the alarm went off & I turned on the news, imagine my surprise that it was 6:40, not 5:40--BECAUSE THE BLACKBERRY IS ALWAYS ON CENTRAL TIME! Now, I couldn't shower, dress & pack in 25 minutes if I were lit on fire & had Kuniyoshi's demons chasing me. What the *h* was I going to do?! Go without showering? (Not possible... My hair was a train wreck!) Take a cab instead? (No, don't want to waste Hallmark's money!) And coffee—now I wouldn't have time for my planned excursion back to Magnolia Bakery for a delectable treat & COFFEE!!! NOOOOOOOO!!!
    All I could think to do was hurry. It had to be done. So I did it. And was miraculously downstairs & waiting for Supershuttle when they arrived. The impossible, accomplished.

   I didn't know it yet, but it's a good thing I didn't miss that shuttle, because I was meant to be on it. When I hopped in I was greeted by a woman with whom I hit it off immediately. Pam & I chatted the whole ride, discussing her work with Haitian artisans. She commissions handmade jewelry made from pounded oil drums & showed me a stunning example of a bracelet she was wearing, a prototype. The details are all carved out with a mallet & nail. She talked about Haitians' vastly different lifestyle from our own & their lack of awareness about the importance of quality control for the market in the rest of the world, saying she was only able to select 50 pieces out of 500 offered. I said I thought it was a gift for her to help educate them in that way, as it would open more opportunties for them down the road. I remembered what Debra McDermed had said about her counseling experience in Haiti, about how positive the people were despite the death & destruction surrounding them. Rather than focusing on their circumstances, their outlook was of hope. I long to adopt that attitude, fully & genuinely.
   I told Pam about my chance experience at the Kuniyoshi exhibition & we agreed that unexpected discovery is the best part of traveling—and of life, really. She said not to pass up opportunities now that will haunt you later in life. Take chances and do what you love. Powerful words. And they ring so true with me; on the very day of my breakup on February 14, 2009, I started to live my life differently. Fuller. Better. Although I'd like to find a partner, this has been an incredible year of personal growth that I wouldn't trade for anything. My life is infinitely more rich now than it would have been otherwise. Everything happens for a reason, and always for the better—IF you're open to its potential! (See upcoming post about Debra McDermed's recent leadership workshop... Totally relates.)
   On a lighter note, Pam also told me about her wonderful new kitty, Gabby, who came from Wayside Waifs at Christmastime. And Gabby's relationship with Pam's adopted daughter Ellen, who accuses her mom of "always taking Gabby's side" when the two disagree. LOL
   We talked a little about my work at Hallmark, & she asked if she could contact me to get some social networking advice. I was happy to oblige, given her mission to help Haiti. If I could help in any way, what an opportunity!
   All too quickly we arrived at Laguardia Airport & I had to go. Pam stopped me as I was picking up my bags, took her own bracelet off her wrist & said, "Here--I want to give this to you." I didn't know what to say! What a wonderful & sincere gesture. Had I not felt a connection with her I would have flatly refused, but something tells me there will be more to this story. And I'll think of her kindness every time I wear it.
   As I approached the Midwest counter to check a bag, still beaming from my chance encounter, the black attendant (dare I guess Haitian?) greeted me with the hugest smile & and an exuberant "Good morning." He clearly picked up on my mood. I joked that I hadn't intended to check a bag, but had overbought. We chatted for a bit & he handed me a claim check with a wink, saying he waived the $20 charge & that we'd "just call it a carry-on." Where am I--the alternate universe of Happyland?! I gave him a nice tip & suggested he enjoy a cup of coffee, & his genuine, grateful response of sincere thanks made my day.

   Things like this happen rather frequently to me, and more so than ever lately. Why? The world hasn't changed: I have. I've embraced the possibility that goodness is always out there if you choose to access it. My life is blessed in ways I never could have imagined. Reflecting on this makes me wonder where I'll be, what I'll be doing, who I'll have met & what I'll have learned in two years. Five years. Ten. Whatever it is, bring it on. I'm ready.


When I got home, this was waiting for me in my email inbox:
"Hi Jen,  You were meant to have that bracelet -- it's a great reminder of the meaningful work to be done to help Haitian orphans. They are truly suffering in every way physically and emotionally. You're great to offer your help and I'll take you up on it sooner rather than later. There are no accidents -- some unrecognized or misunderstood opportunities, but no accidents!   —Pam"

1 comment: