Monday, May 17, 2010

Running around the city...

After the MOMA experience, John & I started heading towards some of the shops on our list. Take it from me, trying to imitate a giant inflatable rat takes a lot out of you. So we started looking for lunch.
And by a stroke of luck, 'wichcraft appeared. One of a chain of Tom Colicchio's sandwich shops, this was definitely a place high on my list to try. The guy's won like 5 James Beard Awards, and he's the star of Top Chef. (The name is a play on "Craft," his original NYC restaurant.) The atmosphere was spare & casual; a perfect, comfortable lunch spot.
John had the meatloaf sandwich (with cheddar & bacon!) and I tried the grilled gruyère& caramelized onions on country bread. Totally not at all surprisingly, it was delicious! And the gourmet peanut butter sandwich cookies & lemon Pellegrino also rocked. 
I will say, though, I make a helluva sandwich myself. My current favorite is the turkey & bacon with pepper jack & fresh, homemade guacamole on toasted asiago semolina. (Sometimes I switch out the guacamole & pepper jack for goat cheese & balsamic glaze, which is also quite good.) I must tip my hat to Colicchio, though, for the color of the toasted bread. You win this round!
Ok, where was I? Oh yes! New York! Here is a large Hallmark store in Times Square, masquerading as a NY gift shop / toy store / plush jungle / crap depository:

The Shoebox display looked good... minus the SIGNS FROM 2007?! I can hear Steve's eyes rolling in unison with mine.
The storefront at Kinokuniya Japanese Books, which had cleverly sneaked out of its Rockefeller Center location & reappeared in Bryant Park. Took us a while to find it! That shiba book is a must-find (I didn't have room in my bags for books):
This t-shirt is perfect for me, don't you think?
Love the architecture of the police station near Canal Street:
We were down there trying to find a purse for John's wife. (We didn't, unfortunately, though we put in a valiant effort!) I unexpectedly found an awesome Tokidoki purse!
Then we hit kidrobot, Giant Robot and more:
And at some point I accidentally
took a photo of my boob with my phone:
Probably because we were in such a hurry to get over to the reception preceeding the Louies (annual greeting card awards) at Chelsea Pier. The ceremony was fun & some very deserving (and very excited!!) people took home a Louie.

No comments:

Post a Comment