Monday, May 31, 2010

Memorial Day Celebration, part 3

Holy cow this has been a busy weekend!
I need four more days off to recover... ha ha ha!
   This morning I got up early to run in the Amy Thompson Run to Daylight, an annual 8k to benefit the Brain Injury Association. This would be my first race of over 4 miles... and maybe my last! As I was headed out the door the dogs stared at me & whined pathetically, so I took them along. They waited patiently in the car during the run, which I completed in 44:26 (8:59 min/mi). Not my best effort, but it's cool. The humidity was really affecting my breathing, so I'm just glad to have finished. I ran the first 5k at my usual 8:30 miles and had to slow after that. I finished in 385th place. Can I get a what what?!
   After the main races, a kids race was held. Completely adorable!
   As always, though, my favorite part of the race was the large crowd & the camaraderie. After the race I grabbed a banana & some Shatto banana milk (mmm!) & walked the dogs around the Loose park's rose garden, which is in bloom. We met a lot of young families with kids who were thrilled to meet the dogs. I even met another shiba owner! She was the second one this week that had purchased her dog at Petland. As usual I did my best to educate her that Petland is known for getting their puppies from puppy mills, and that you can literally get the same quality, purebred dog from a breed rescue group for a fraction of the cost ($200 for a shiba from MSIR versus $1500 at Petland—that's what both told me they paid). I always try to be VERY careful to sound helpful & friendly, not like I'm lecturing them, and I hope that people will remember it for next time they want a dog. I told everyone who asked about them how much shibas like to run, and everyone's eyes lit up. A small dog that loves to run?! I'd love to help get more dogs placed into active households!
Check out the name of these roses:
And the celebration continues! I just grilled enough food for four people and am eating it all myself! And then later I'm joining Michele & Maureen to watch episode 2 of The Bachelorette. (We like to make fun of it together.) Can this weekend get any better??

No comments:

Post a Comment