Friday, July 9, 2010

Acadia Teaser

Just a few of the many photos I've taken in Acadia National Park, on Mount Desert Island in Maine, near Bar Harbor. Lots more to come when I return home! For now, here's the view from the top of Cadillac Mountain (which would be even better if it weren't so foggy!):
View of Jordan Pond from the top of Bubble trail, by Bubble Rock:
Birch tree in the sun (the weather was gorgeous!):
Jordan Pond:
On the way up to Sargent peak:
The precarious steps down from The Beehive (you pretty much couldn't climb it without gear, if it weren't for the iron rungs):
Sargent Mountain Peak. Had to use the timer to get most of the photos of myself because there were so few people on the trails... even during the high season! Hiking solo rocks!
   Solo, that is, if you don't count this amazing Garmin GPS that Olivia & David loaned to me to make sure I didn't get lost in the woods. It was cool to get all the stats of my hike (I summited 5 mountains in approx. 5 hours, and hiked over 10 miles.) That's a lot of elevation considering I started just above sea level!
Top of Bubble trail again:
   I intentionally chose some of the toughest trails in the park to challenge myself. I'd like to go back someday to climb the Precipice Trail, which is supposedly close to vertical. It's closed all summer, every summer, because Peregrine falcons nest there. Between this trip & my trip with Kelley last year, I've hiked most of the mountains on the island. Time to start looking for another locale!

1 comment:

  1. Amazing pics, Jen! Looks like you're having a blast!

    ReplyDelete