Friday, October 15, 2010

Lost dog

   Don't get me wrong: I love my dog, but I am going to have to kill him. I've been taking them out to Shawnee Mission Park lately after a long hiatus (because Taylor always disappears for 20 minutes or so), & am gradually trusting him again.
  When I took him earlier this week, he disappeared but was safe down at the lake. I chatted with some folks down there who were very friendly, and coincidentally, walked into the park tonight with one of the same couples.
  Tonight he disappeared right off the bat, but was headed toward the lake as usual. Aki & I headed that way. It's kind of a long walk, down a steep hill. And much to my surprise, he wasn't there. So we jogged back to the parking lot. No Taylor.
  By now it was after 7:00 & getting dark. I reminded myself not to panic because it wouldn't help. We jogged back to the lake, my hips hurting from today's intense physical therapy. Still a few dogs in the water, but Tay wasn't among them.
  I had been talking to everyone I passed. "Have you seen a chubbier, black & tan version of this dog here?" Heads shook. No one on the trail had seen him. No one at the lake had seen him. They all said they'd keep their eyes out for him.
  Knowing that I had no flashlight & would have to soon decide what to do, I picked up the pace & ran back up the hill. Aki stuck right by me, & looked up at me adoringly, but wasn't much help. 40 minutes had passed. It was DARK. This wasn't looking good.
  I was halfway back to the parking lot when I saw a silhouette walking toward me. I only recognized one of the guys from the lake because he had a shaved head, making him easy to spot. When he got within 15 feet of me I could tell he had a dog in his arms. It was Tay.
  I put the leash on Tay & profusely thanked the guy, Kris, for finding him. Taylor had been just sitting in the parking lot, exactly where I wouldn't want him to be, since someone could run over him.  Kris had tried to call the number on his tag, & that's when I realized I had my home phone on there, not my cell. Going to have to get a new tag ASAP!
  I'm frustrated with Taylor, but super-grateful to everyone who helped find him, especially Kris. Dog people are good people. Thanks, buddy!
   I was so relieved that I did the only reasonable thing: I stopped to get take-out sushi on the way home, to soothe my jangled nerves.

No comments:

Post a Comment