Sunday, March 6, 2011

KC Pet Telethon 2011

   This year's telethon was the 11th annual for the Humane Society of Greater Kansas City, and either the fourth or fifth for which I've manned the phone lines. They were a little short on volunteers tonight, so I was delighted that I got to work 2 hours instead of just one!
   I love answering the phones and getting to talk to dozens of happy pet-lovers. Many watch at home with their pets (my favorite tonight was the woman with 2 black & tan dachshunds barking in the background), and some donate in memory of a beloved pet (the most touching one tonight was a woman missing her English Bulldog). I also got a caller who owns both Mastiffs and Papillions, and she challenged owners of either to call and pledge. As usual, the time just flew by and the phone often rang off the hook.
   In the end I believe we ended with around $148,000 raised—close to our goal of $155,000: a lot of money to help needy pets! That's me & local meteorologist and big-time dog lover Gary Lezak above. Gary used to bring his dog Windy on TV with him, and although she passed at around 17 years old, his dogs (and HSGKC alumns!) Stormy and Breezy are carrying on her legacy. How much do I wish I could bring my dogs to work with me... lucky guy!
   Thanks to Gary, Robin, Jo, Jana and all of the other HSGKC volunteers and staff, but especially to all the generous donors who called in with their pledges tonight. Between this and finding homes for two of our Shiba puppies, it has been a pretty incredible day.
   Pet"are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole."  — Roger Caras

2 comments:

  1. Thank you Jen for volunteering again! So glad you were able to help again this year in the phone bank. It's pretty incredible to be able to connect with other pet lovers and Humane Society supporters, don't you agree?

    The current total is at $148,000!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Robin! I had a blast, as always!! Thanks for taking my pic (great job, btw) and I can't wait to see more of yours...

    ReplyDelete