Friday, December 20, 2013

Discover Scuba!

Photo by Sam Rutheford - see more here!
   I am assisting instructors in Discover Scuba classes, and am setting some up for early 2014. If you're in the KC area and are interested, please leave a comment or message me!


TIME & DATE: most Saturdays, pending schedule & instructor confirmation
Ever wonder what it would feel like to explore another world? Then Scuba diving is your chance! See amazing creatures face-to-face, float over a coral garden bursting with color and life, check out a shipwreck... and diving is about as close as you can get to the feeling of flying. There is nothing like it! Commit to your resolution to be more adventurous in 2014 by testing the waters in a heated, indoor pool with supportive instructors and friends.
A little about Jen, your host (that's me!): Some of you are very comfortable in water, and strong swimmers (that was NOT me!) Four years ago the very thought of swimming terrified me. But I talked myself into swim lessons, and as soon as I got the hang of it, tested my fear again by signing up for Scuba. I gradually felt more "in my element" and this year, embarked on a trip to Roatan, Honduras with Sam's Skin-n-Scuba and 60 other divers mostly from the KC area. I learned a TON in a week thanks to Sam & his instructors, and was underwater for 24 hours in that time. I made lots of new friends—camaraderie is one of the best parts of the dive community. I was hooked. 
So I immediately signed up for more classes, and today I am in training to become a Divemaster! As a DM candidate, I assist with courses like this one, but I do NOT receive compensation. I am inviting you because I'd love for more people to discover the sport I'm so passionate about.  :)
Here's the deal: A PADI Diving Professional will explain the basic principles of diving and give you an overview of the gear. Then we'll suit you up & start you off in the shallow end of the pool. When you are comfortable we'll to the deeper end.  We NEVER move at a pace faster than you are comfortable with.  This is your experience.
If you choose to continue, the skills you learn during your Discover Scuba Diving experience may be credited toward the full PADI Open Water Diver certification. The shop conducts subsequent dives at Beaver Lake, Arkansas.

Price: $25 ea for groups of 4+ (normally $40 ea). Please note: In order to guarantee we hit our minimum number of participants, payment is required in order to RSVP. You are welcome to find an alternate if you find that you are not able to attend.
Who: ages 10+ are encouraged and welcome! You don't have to be a strong swimmer or athlete—just willing to try. We will happily modify as necessary to accommodate differences in ability.
Allow 1-1/2 hours to complete. Event duration is longer in case we have enough people for 2 sessions.
Materials: All gear is included. No book or training materials required. Bring your ID, medical release form for each participant (will be emailed to you prior to event—you cannot dive without it), towel, and swimsuit. If you have your own mask/fins/snorkel/wetsuit/any other gear, feel free to bring. There are restrooms and showers in the pool area.

THANK YOU FOR YOUR INTEREST! I promise we will have a blast.  :)  Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment