Sunday, January 26, 2014

Drawing time: Shark and platypus

   Couple of new pieces to share: I drew myself diving with a friendly whale shark on Scott's dive slate while we were waiting for a couple of novice divers to finish up in the pool. (The funny thing is it's not at all to scale… I would be much, much smaller compared to a real-life whale shark, as I found out firsthand in 2012.)
   And let me just say, a sport that combines my love of swimming & my love of animals… & the ability to draw pictures underwater… Like, up to 100 feet underwater? Awesomest. Thing. Ever.
   I drew this guy for my friend/coworker, Charlie, because he's very unique--both in his personality and in his incategorizable role at work. So I call Charlie "the platypus". He's one of several true creative geniuses with whom I've had the pleasure of working. Our partner Amy is brilliant as well. I don't have a colorful nickname for her… Yet. (Unless she is simply the "tiny pies girl")  ;)
    I really enjoy experimenting by drawing with different instruments, like a pencil on a dive slate versus a nearly worn out Sharpie marker. It gives the finished pieces a totally different quality, and it also challenges me to draw differently to suit the media. Are the magic of the iPhone, I can crop and add filters to, to give them yet another dimension. (Ha! I just made myself think of "Intergalactic" by the beastie boys. "Another dimension, another dimension…")

No comments:

Post a Comment