Monday, January 27, 2014

The Ugly Truth

   My financial advisor sent his weekly email today, and he always shares a great, thought-provoking quote. This week's is: “Truth is like the sun. You can shut it out for a time, but it ain't goin' away.”    — Elvis Presley
   I've been thinking about that quote a lot ever since. Because last fall my coworker/leader Lindsey had that horrible accident that took one of her legs. Recently my coworker/hero Cindy was diagnosed with leukemia. At lunchtime today I learned that my hiking buddy Kaye has melanoma in her eye. Again. (It took one of her eyes a few years ago.) And just now I learned that my engineer/Garbos cookout buddy Kevin has pancreatic cancer.  WHAT. THE. F***.
    All amazing people. People who deserve to have only good things come to them. And they all were dealt an especially difficult hand. So Presley was right, you can't deny the fact that bad things happen to really, really good folks. And the fact is, it feels totally unfair.
   Thinking about them all tonight, and hoping as hard as I can that they all get great results. If  outcome is truly influenced by attitude, there's hope for all. Wishing there was something I could do to help. Love you all. Keep chewing.

No comments:

Post a Comment