Saturday, September 6, 2014

Diving in

   I could see underwater photography becoming a very serious hobby for me... Maybe more than a hobby someday. Sam Rutherford gave me a brief "Saminar" and I was off and swimming! 

   In four days of trial & error and picking up tips from fellow divers, I learned a ton and started getting some nice shots--and really enjoyed the additional challenges you encounter up to 90' below in the big blue. Earning my Divemaster certification meant that I've spent a lot of time honing my buoyancy, so the 10 lb. rig was little bother.

   The real downside is that water, particularly salt water, is not friendly to electronics, as I discovered at 4:51 am on day five. One small mistake and I flooded the camera I'd rented, a verrry costly mistake. 

   So I dove back in with the old camera my sister loaned me and used my new skills to get some even better photos. Though the mistake I made is gonna hurt in the short term, what really pained me was not having that awesome setup for the last two days of the trip.

   The photo above is one that Taka took with his GoPro camera; that's me following a patient sea turtle up over the top of a coral wall. I'll get to posting some of my own photos soon…

No comments:

Post a Comment