Sunday, October 19, 2014

A fond farewell

   On Sunday morning we checked out of the cabin and drove back to where we started, Portland. We grabbed a quick lunch together at J's Oyster on the wharf. I was delighted to have one last chance for lunch with my family, and for great Maine seafood: fresh oysters, and a big lobster roll!
   We had a seat right by the window with a view of the harbor, and sunlight streaming in. The last few days have been in the 60s-70s, and today dropped to 40s-50s. Our timing was perfect for leaf color and weather, and as Stella's daughter, Roz, said, Stella must have arranged it just for us!
   Too soon, it was time to jump back into the VW Golf (with only 350 miles when I picked it up!) and take the colorful 1.5 hour drive back to Manchester, New Hampshire.
   Mom took this shot for me to share with Madeline, the VW enthusiast. I have to say it was a very smooth, quiet comfortable ride--impressive for a little car. But the seats and the vantage point can't compare with my ol' Rav.
   I pulled into the underground parking garage to return the car, stopped right behind one other car, and began to gather my phone charger, my sunglasses, and anything else I could quickly stuff in my backpack. I was leaned over the passenger seat with my back to my door, when I heard it open, and I heard a man's voice say, "Ma'am, I need to check in your car."
   "Okay," I said, because I was obviously expecting it. What I didn't expect was to turn around and see my former coworker, Peter F, smiling because he'd successfully tricked me! He and his mom had finished their trip in New Hampshire and pulled into the garage just before me! We were on the same flights on the way home, so he kindly treated us ladies to dinner and a beer in Manchester, and frozen yogurt at Pinkberry in Baltimore. It was such a great way to end a great trip.

No comments:

Post a Comment