Sunday, April 26, 2015

Weekend cram session

From bright-eyed to zombiefied:
   Behold! The outcome of 24 hours of training packed into less than 2 1/2 days. This was our last full weekend for scuba instructor development course, until the week of the instructor exam itself... At the end of May. Our course director has a lot of travel coming up in the next few weeks, so it was now or never.
   I could much more easily be up and moving and highly active for that many consecutive hours, than I can sit down in the same chair all day, intensely focused. The first few hours of Saturday were great, but as the day went on, it became more difficult for me to concentrate, and fatigue set in. I think I invented about 50,000 new ways to sit in a hard, uncomfortable, metal, folding chair. Some people get drained from exercising, I get drained from sitting.
   The good news is, through it all, none of us lost our sense of humor. The six of us have been through a war together. A war that ended happily, with grilled hamburgers and plenty of beer. And tonight as I was relaxing, I drew these cartoons to capture some of the fun.
   Two years ago, I couldn't have imagined myself as a diver who was highly comfortable in the water, much less a divemaster. And I certainly never imagined I could complete a scuba instructor program. It just goes to show you that life tends to put some incredible opportunities in front of you, if you are willing to challenge yourself. This certainly has been a lot of work, but I am so glad I embarked on the journey!
PS: found this today and thought it was appropriate:
Apparently, I really, really want to be a scuba instructor. ;)

No comments:

Post a Comment