Sunday, April 17, 2016

Running through my mind

   This morning was cool and breezy, so I took the opportunity to get out and challenge myself. And knocked out 5.25 miles, the most I've been able to achieve in a few weeks. This exertional compartment syndrome in my legs is not awesome. Every time I go out, I am consciously trying to tweak my form to find a way to run that won't cause my feet to go numb. The condition is chronic and caused by overuse, so I have to be careful not to exacerbate things. But I'll be d@mned if I'm going to go down without a fight!
   My toes started to go numb at 20 minutes, so I walked for two minutes. Then I ran for 10, and walked for 1. Alternating like this, I was able to continue going without increasing the pressure too much. Trying to get a lot of power from the back part of my stride, striking my foot directly below my hips, with my music helping to keep my cadence up around 172. 
   It is such a huge bummer to consider that I may have to stop running entirely, or risk surgery. And being the stubborn girl that I am, hearing that I shouldn't run just makes me want to run all the more. 
   Running is such an inexpensive and easy hobby: you just lace up your shoes and run out the front door. I love how much ground you can cover in a short time. 
   Running heightens your senses, and I notice things around my neighborhood I'd miss while driving. It's my best thinky time: it unwinds me and helps keep me freshly inspired.
   This time of year is one of the most joyous to be out on foot, with all the trees and flowers blooming, and the birds singing. Winter is still my favorite season to run, and I will miss the cold weather, but spring is so beautiful and irresistibly alive!
   So I'm filling this post with all the goodness I see right in my neighborhood and my own backyard--everything that makes my heart burst with joy when I'm out and about. Because it's so easy to focus on the negative that we forget to appreciate all the positives.
   Life is all about changing seasons, so I can't spend too much time mourning the season that is passing me by, when there is so much I have to look forward to. I will control as much of my destiny as I am able, and trust that the universe will take care of the rest.

No comments:

Post a Comment