Sunday, July 31, 2016

Georgetown and Roosevelt

   Got lost today looking for the footbridge to Theodore Roosevelt Island, and ended up in Georgetown… And oh, look: a kayak outfitter!
   Beautiful morning on the Potomac, and fun to get a different perspective on the Lincoln Memorial and the Washington Monument.
   I also picked up a bunch of trash floating in the river, doing my part to keep the Potomac clean! Happily, this outfitter gives a 5% discount for anyone who takes on the cleanup effort.
   At the end of the excursion, I was standing in line to pay for my rental, and chatted with two young woman behind me. Turns out they were locals, and when I asked them for lunch recommendation, they invited me to join them at Chaia, a farm to table vegetarian/vegan taco place. I had a grilled green bean and jalapeño taco, and a grilled zucchini and squash blossom taco, with pesto brown rice with pumpkin seeds. All completely amazing. It was a treat to share a meal with them, and these unexpected friendly meetings with strangers are often my favorite part of my travels.
   Kayaking doesn't count towards steps on the Garmin; despite the fact that my arms are moving constantly, the activity doesn't register on the watch. So that makes today's total that much more impressive. Based on the outfitter's information, I kayaked about 5 miles. And walked 11!
   Spending time outdoors in a new city is always a tremendous boost to my mood, particularly after such a tough week. So glad I decided to work remotely and join Renee out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment