Sunday, September 23, 2012

Naked Kizzy

the last photo of Kiz with that cute, pink tag
  My pets have all settled into a great routine. In the morning when I wake up, they all greet me: Kiz on the bed, and the dogs on the floor next to it. Kiz purrs so loud she squeaks as if she's got a part loose, and rubs her head on me so hard she almost pushes me over. The dogs howl and then vie to see who will get me to pet them first. I say, "Let's eat!" and they all follow me downstairs to the kitchen. There, they IMpatiently wait for me to fix their food. Kismet always gets to eat first, and Aki is made to sit and watch, which assures that the cat is top of the pecking order. When she finished and leaves the room, the dogs race to see who can finish their food first. When that contest is decided, I say, "Let's go out!" and all three race to the back door. The dogs run out, with the cat on their heels. They're three peas in an admittedly strange, fuzzy pod.
   The weather was gorgeous yesterday, so when I left the house to attend the Plaza Art Fair, I left the back door open enough for the pets to go in & out & enjoy the yard. Because they do this every weekend while I'm home without incident, I didn't worry. I came home and everyone looked happy. But... Kismet was naked.
   Her cute brown & pink collar with the bell that the Heart of America Humane Society gave her, and her pink name tag, were gone. It was a breakaway collar, designed for safety: if the cat becomes caught on something and pulls hard enough, the clasp opens and releases kitty. Problem is, where was it now?
   I looked around the house and yard for about an hour, until I needed to head out to meet friends for dinner. I came home and continued to look in the house. And this morning I mowed the lawn and trimmed the shrubs—for four hours—in effect, canvassing the whole yard. No collar. I looked in the trees. I climbed under the forsythia bush. I removed the lattice from the deck and crawled on my hands & knees in the dirt. No collar.
   I'm sure it will turn up when I least expect it. But I must admit it is driving me a little crazy. Where could it have gone? My subconscious had an idea: while I was sleeping last night, I dreamed that Kelly found it. I hope it's right.
   Then tonight I did a load of laundry and as I was pulling everything out of the dryer, one sock was missing. Apparently there is a Bermuda triangle in my home. If I don't show up for work, please come looking for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment