Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Wildlife graveyard

   Apparently my yard is the place where wildlife comes to die. Tonight I returned home from work & took the dogs outside, only to find a baby squirrel in the middle of the yard. He was long gone, and, like the possum, had no signs of foul play. He was so cute, and it appeared that his eyes hadn't even opened yet. His tail, though scrawny, was a beautiful silver color. Perhaps he fell from too great a height from his nest in one of the nearby trees? I'm very curious about what is killing these animals, & hoping that it's "natural causes" such as the extreme heat, and not that someone in the neighborhood is poisoning them.
   I know that most people think of these guys as pests, but to me they're still little souls. I remember when I was a kid & Dad found a nest of 6 baby squirrels in a fallen tree. We kept them in an old rabbit hutch & fed them formula from an eyedropper until they were big enough to upgrade to fruits & veggies—like chunks of raw sweet potato. By then they were so frisky that when you opened the cage door, they would leap onto you & run laps around your body as if you were a tree. And when they finally saw their first tree & climbed it, they looked down at us, stunned, as if they couldn't figure out how to get back down again.
Rest in peace, lil' guy. And say hi to my possum for me!

No comments:

Post a Comment