Sunday, August 29, 2010

You've got red on you.

   Presenting my entry for Gallery 1988 San Francisco's "Crazy 4 Cult Customs" show, opening Saturday, September 4. SPOILER ALERT: The back of the plush gives away the ending of the movie, so if you haven't seen this film, turn back now!
   It's entitled, "You've Got Red on You" and it depicts two scenes from "Shaun of the Dead," one of my all-time favorite movies. (How can you go wrong with a dark romantic comedy buddy film about zombies?!) The piece consists of hand-sewn, embroidered & painted felt, with paper album sleeves and a wooden base.
Ed & Shaun in the garden, chucking records at zombies:
Shaun: Some of these are limited... Ah! What was that?
Ed: Blue Monday.
Shaun: That was an original pressing.
Ed: For f***s sake.  Erm... Purple Rain?
Shaun: No.
Ed: Sign O' The Times?
Shaun: Definitely not.
Ed: The Batman soundtrack?
Shaun: Throw it.
Ed: Dire Straits?
Shaun: Throw it.
Ed: Er... Ooh, Stone Roses?
Shaun: No.
Ed: Second Coming?
Shaun: I like it.

Badass zombie-killing Shaun (with cricket bat) & Zombie Ed (with video game controller):


Liz: How many shells have we got left?
Shaun: Erm... two. I suppose we could take a few of them out if they stand in a line.
Liz: I wasn't thinking about them.
Shaun: I know.
Liz: What about Ed? There's only two shells.
Ed: I don't mind being eaten.
Liz: How are we gonna do this?
Shaun: I don't know. Erm...
Liz: One of us has to go first.
Shaun: One should do the other and then do themselves.
Liz: You should do me. I'll muck it up if I have to do myself.           
Shaun: I don't think I've got it in me to shoot my flatmate, my mum and my girlfriend all in the same evening.
Liz: What makes you think I've taken you back?
Shaun: Well... you don't want to die single, do you?
Ed: Actually... I would like to be shot.

For a sense of scale (everything looks huge next to me!):
   The eyes & noses are hand-embroidered to make them dimensional, and there is stitched detail in the hair, brows & goatee. Ed's "I got wood" shirt is hand-painted (both sides), as is Shaun's ink spot, ID badge, tie, and blood splatters. Can I just say, there is nothing more fun than painting blood splatters all over plush???
Shipping them off to the gallery. I miss them already.
Check it out: they're featured on a zombie blog!
Click here to see the Shaun of the Dead trailer.
Click here for an interview with Simon Pegg.
Click here to get your own "I GOT WOOD" t-shirt.
Click here to get zombie outbreak caution tape.
Click here to see more work from the gallery show.
Click here for information on surviving a zombie attack.
G1988's recent 3G show was similarly outstanding.

9 comments:

  1. AMAZING JEN!!! REALLY LOOKS JUST LIKE THEM! I GUESS THAT'S THE POINT, BUT COME ON!!! AMAZING!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh!
    Are these available to order/buy in any way?
    I have a friend who would LOVE these :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would buy this right now.
    It's my favourite movie of all time!
    Brilliant job!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If these ever become available to buy or anything, i appreciate they probably won't due to the hard work and personal effort you put into them, but i LOVE these, and the film, and i would easily buy two sets, one for my mate too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is the kind of crazy genius that makes me fear you. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wow! thanks, everyone!!! these actually ARE for sale; the show opens Saturday, 9/4. they are one of a kind & took a ton of time to make (due to all the detail & the double-sidedness), so they're priced accordingly. it was hard to see them go. i think it's the best plush i've made yet! : )

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fantastic, I'm from England so are they available to buy online or only at the show?

    ReplyDelete
  8. First off, brilliant, just pure brilliance.
    I, like many of the mates I have read above, wonder if they can be sold online?
    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete