Wednesday, September 22, 2010

And then there were two.

   I thought (and hoped) that the mouse family had all been discovered & ousted. But about an hour ago when I went into the basement to find a shipping box... I opened the door to the storage room and a tiny mouse sat motionless on the floor in the middle of the room. I was sure it was dead. But it turns out he was only MOSTLY dead.
   I scooped him up & he bobbed a little. He immediately started licking my palm, which I took to mean that he was dehydrated & desperate for a drink. I quickly got him some water by way of a slice of peach. He was so excited that he hopped up on it & went around in circles licking at it. I quickly found an old aquarium that I had in the garage, cleaned it up & turned it into a mouse house.
   The new lil guy is even smaller than mouse #1 (whom I've been calling "Bartholomew," or "Bart." Don't know why. Just seemed like a good mousie name.) Mouse #2 shivers & bobs a LOT. I'm not sure if it's because he's so young (he's not eating solid food yet), or because he was cold in the basement, or if his lil systems are shutting down & it's a sign that he won't make it.
   In any case, while the two were indifferent toward each other at first, I just checked on them & they were huddled together sleeping happily. 
   Again, say what you will about me being a big weirdo (or at the very least, a little weirdo), I think these lil guys are adorable and deserve a shot at life. I'll do my best to keep them alive & when they're well enough, find a nice spot at a park to release them. I always say that everything happens for a reason. No idea what these two have to teach me, but the very fact that I found them alive in a houseful of animals suggests to me that they're supposed to be here.

2 comments:

  1. Your friend with doggie Dakota posted a link to your mousie stories on the Shiba Inu Message Board. I want you to know that I feel the same way about'sentient beings'. I do Insect Release using a glass and small piece of light-weight cardboard. Wit live mousies that my cats presented me with, I would shut cats in house, and take mousie outdoors. Now I live in a 2nd floor apt. No mousies. Mouse traps sometimes are NOT quick, sometimes just snap on a leg. Glue traps - nightmare. Can you use a little live trap for mousies?
    Alix (balix on Shiba Inu MB)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Alix, I'm supposed to be on a shiba MB, as a volunteer for MSIR, but they've had trouble with my registration & it never let's me in! Is that the one you're on, or it is a different one? If you get this, please post a link! ^_^

    ReplyDelete