Saturday, October 30, 2010

Random encounter

   I stopped in to Target this afternoon to load up on Halloween candy for tomorrow (which ended up being tough to predict as always, and I overbought, which I suppose is better than underbuying!)
   I pulled in to a parking spot, and as I got out of the car a nicely-dressed elderly woman got out of the car next to me, kind of chuckling, saying that she didn't do a good job parking. I said that it looked fine to me, and she replied, "Yeah, but I had to back out & pull in a couple of times to straighten out. I wanted to make sure there was enough room for someone to park next to me. I'm glad it was you."
   I laughed and she put her arm around me as we walked toward the entrance. She didn't seem like she needed support, she just liked the camaraderie. There was something cool about her. This story probably sounds strange but it didn't feel that way at all.
   She started asking me if I was there to buy candy, and telling me how much she loves Halloween & how it brings back memories of when her children were little, and how she enjoys seeing her grandkids dressed up. She told me that she used to bake fresh, homemade gingerbread for the kids long ago on Halloween. A few kids liked it, but most didn't have a taste for fresh ginger. I said that I would have loved it!
   She smiled & told me to hold out my hand, and dropped a penny in it. She said, "I found this & I think you should have it."
   "Is it lucky?" I asked.
   She winked at me & we grabbed our carts & parted ways.
"We'll see."

No comments:

Post a Comment