Thursday, October 28, 2010

Stray Kitty?

   For many months I have seen this black cat on & off, and more often I have HEARD him, fighting with Mitty Moo, my next door neighbors' cat. As I pulled in the drive tonight, he darted in front of my car & hid in the bushes next to my patio. I walked over quietly & talked to him, trying to coax him out. When I've tried this before, he took off like lightning down the street. This time, he turned & looked at me, then started meowing & chirping at me. I held my hand out, and after a long hesitation, he approached me!
   He was actually very friendly (and his coat was very dirty), and much to my surprise he rubbed his head all over me & purred. When I got up to get my groceries out of the car to take them inside, he followed me into the garage & nearly into the house! 
   He hung out in the garage for a while & I stayed with him, debating about whether or not I should catch him & take him to a shelter. He seemed well-fed and most likely has a home—at least, he's not feral, but he wasn't wearing a collar. And he wasn't neutered either. I wanted so badly to take him in & have that done, even if I would re-release him later. But I ultimately decided to ask my friends at HSGKC what to do first.
   It's really upsetting that people are irresponsible enough to let an un-neutered cat roam the neighborhood. I hope I see him again before he gets hit by a car or hurt in a fight. The life of an outdoor cat is unglamorous, and often, short-lived.
Handsome boy:

1 comment:

  1. Aw, he's pretty! I love a black cat (even though my allergies dislike them *sigh*). Last night Ginny & Lee found a stray dog. He was SO sweet, no collar, very dirty...they put him in the backyard and if he didn't get out in the night, Lee was gonna go walk him around to the neighbors today to see if someone was missing him. I have such a soft spot for strays-I wanted to take him home!

    ReplyDelete