Sunday, February 13, 2011

Grammys

   It's been a long time since I watched the Grammys at all, much less enjoyed them. There were so many years where what I was listening to wasn't popular, although I'd maintain that it was higher quality than the popular stuff. But there is a ton of great music out now... it feels like a renaissance; the popular stuff, for the most part, is really GOOD music! And not only that, but outstanding performances and stage shows, too! Here are some of my favorites from tonight's show:
Usher and Bieber, "OMG," indeed
Bruno Mars, "Just the Way You Are," "Grenade"
Janelle Monae... local girl shows 'em all up!
Cee Lo Green... with Muppets. He sounded a lot better than he looked!
Drake and Rihanna, "What's My Name"
   I was disappointed but not terribly surprised when some of my favorites got beat by, IMHO, lesser artists (I will never understand Eminem. Period! Nor how he beat artists like Jay-Z and Drake.) But the right people can't win every time, right? My biggest complaint are songs with stupid lyrics. Case in point:
   Katy Perry, Firework: "Boom boom boom, even brighter than the moon moon moon; Cause baby you're a firework, Come on show 'em what you're worth, Make 'em go "Oh, oh, oh!", As you shoot across the sky-y-y"
   Eminem, Love the Way You Lie: "You don't get another chance, Life is no Nintendo game, But you lied again, Now you get to watch her leave, Out the window, Guess that's why they call it window pane"
   Train, Hey Soul Sister: "I'm so obsessed, my heart is bound to beat right out my untrimmed chest"
   I'll stop there. I think you get it. And frankly I can't stand to think about any more of them. Anyway, half the fun was being logged into Facebook and reading everyone's reactions. Felt like I was watching with hundreds of friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment