Friday, March 4, 2011

Performance Reviews

   The 2010 performance review season just ended, and Atom is already working on an "Exceeds" for 2011.  (Previous reports here and here. My September 2010 posts are rodent-filled.) Aki and Taylor are working hard as well, as expert puppy-raisers for my foster brood. And Gypsy... well, Gypsy looks cute. (She's the queen, so we'll let her slide.)
   Tonight I got home, started dinner, and ran downstairs to feed the cats and found a helpless juvenile mousie in the middle of the floor. He was injured and incapacitated—Atom thoughtfully made sure I'd find him alive. I could tell he wasn't going to live long because he had a puncture in his neck. But he was alert enough that I placed him safely in an aquarium with some food, water and bedding material so at least he'd slip away peacefully.
   I realize I'm the only person in the world who cares for a little mousie, and they are pests, and I don't want them in my home, but I hate to see such a sweet little animal suffer. Sorry, lil' guy. Hope you're living it up in mousie heaven.

2 comments:

  1. even if they are rodents, if you can look at that adorable little fuzzy baby face and not feel compassion, I'll start calling you Mr. Burns. Seriously, who could do that? I'd do the exact same thing as you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Our shiba caught one once... chomped the mousie with his jaws, which I guess was powerful enough of a bite that the mouse died instantly. It was still sad to dispose of the tiny little body.

    Otherwise, we use live traps because I don't want those tiny little furballs suffering, either. We release them in the big open dog park -- maybe not exactly fair if they're used to easy foraging within a house, but if they're meant to survive, they'll find a way.

    If it wasn't for the fact that they poop everywhere and scamper like cockroaches when spotted, I probably wouldn't even mind them so much...

    ReplyDelete