Monday, April 25, 2011

Ruff Day

   Today seemed like any normal Monday until I got home from work. I had a long list of to-dos for tonight, but they were not to be. I walked in the kitchen door and no dogs were there to greet me, which never ever happens, so I knew something was up. As I walked into the dining room and put my laptop down, Taylor ran up the stairs to get my attention, whined, and ran back downstairs. Aki was lying on the rug by the back door. She couldn't get up.
   My beloved Aki had inexplicably lost the use of her back legs & was having strange neurological signs (darting eyes, arched back, tense abdomen, intense muscle shakes), and was vomiting. I called the vet, warned them that I was on my way, scooped up Aki and flew out the door. She was so catatonic and so quiet the whole time that I was afraid she might die in the back of my car by the time we arrived.
   I spent three hours at the vet. While I waited for Dr. Miller to perform some tests, an older lady walked in cuddling a swaddled sweet, fat, charcoal-and-white spotted kitty. His face was puffy and round, with bright yellow eyes. He seemed alert, but quiet. The woman's daughter had driven her there. I could tell by their solemn faces that they were there to say good-bye to their kitty for the last time. As soon as I realized that, I couldn't bear to think about it. Aki is only four years old. She just HAS to have lots of life left.
   A few tests and hundreds of dollars later... inconclusive. They pretty much ruled out my biggest fears: poisoning, gastrointestinal blockage, or broken back, but not knowing the cause is still disconcerting. Just yesterday morning we jogged and walked at the park, then spent the entire day in the backyard together, and she was fine.
   By the time I left the vet, she was perkier and could stand, but she has great difficulty sitting and lying down, and often falls when she tries to do so. Her back legs are barely under control. Frankly, I'm scared of what tonight might bring, so any and all thoughts and prayers are much appreciated.

15 comments:

  1. So sorry to hear about your dog. :( Hoping the best for you both!

    -Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. so sorry to hear that aki's not feeling well. we online shibas send our love and our good thoughts. if there's anything we can help out with, please let us know and we'll organize to help!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hoping and praying for a speedy recovery!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My human and I send our best! We send loads of shiba kisses to Aki!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm hoping your pup is ok. If Aki's drinking a lot and getting a bit pot bellied...have the vet test for Cushings and diabetes.

    Loads of Shiba love to you

    ReplyDelete
  6. Aki will be in our thoughts and prayers!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. oh no! I hope things turn out okay...I instantly thought back to your tick debacle a week or so ago. That couldn't be it, could it??

    Keeping my fingers and toes crossed!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hope Aki is back to feeling better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh, Jen. I'm hope all is well and that Aki will be back to her old self: barking at my Bruce and bossing him around (which is just how we like her.)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thoughts and prayers from my pack. ((((shiba hugs))))

    ReplyDelete
  11. Although we are strangers, my heart goes out to you. I came across your post via Tar0 Shiba (http://tar0shiba.tumblr.com/) and couldnt help but send my best. Praying for a quick recovery and peace of mind to you and Aki, and all the members of your pack.

    Sarah & Charlie

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please get well, Aki! Hoping for the best.

    From Jonathan and Suki the Shiba

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hoping this might be helpful--try reading the "I am shiba" blog (just google it) by Cortez who has a diagnosis with intermittent symptoms resembling those of your shiba. All good wishes to Aki, you, and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So sorry to hear about your precious Aki. we had a very simialiar bout with our 9 year old Kody a Shiba mix this time last year. Except his front legs seemed most affected. Same as with you after alot of testing both at the emergency vet (His episode happened at 12 at night) and the following day at our own vet. All were inconclusive. We stopped short of getting him a MRI to see if he had a brain tumor. Everyday he did get a little better. His balance, walking and the funny look in his eyes. It took about 2 weeks for him to get about 90% back. Still every time he stumbles or looks tired we worry far too much, is it happening again. Like you we put Kody in the car that night, with two adult children in the drive crying you better bring our Kody Boy home. We were that scared he wasn't going to make it to the Vet. Kody looks very much like your Aki only he weighs 65lbs. We don't know what he is mixed with and the Vet can't even guess he looks so much like one. Screams like one too. His chart lists him as a Giant Shiba Inu. Sorry for writing a book. There is nothing we wouldn't do for our Kody. And to think when he was an 8 week old puppy something threw him into a field to fend for himself. And he found his way into my brother in law's yard and into our hearts. Already had 3 dogs never had 4 before but what else are you going to do with a very dirty, crying, cold puppy. He is doing well today and has never had another episode. Fingers crossed. So I hope Aki never does again.

    ReplyDelete