Wednesday, December 8, 2010

X marks the spot

   Thanks to my friend Joan for schlepping me back & forth to the doc's this afternoon for another test on my hip. It was almost as much fun as the first one: all of the pain with none of the suspense. You know what you really don't want to see? A pen mark on your thigh telling the doc exactly where he should stab you with a giant needle.
I look like a pirate's treasure map: "dig here." ARRRRGH. He did a good job, though. The needle didn't even slam out the other side of my leg and turn me into a human shish kabob, which is nice. Not so nice:
I am fairly resistant to Lidocaine, which apparently is genetic. You win this round, genes.

   My favorite part was as I was leaving the waiting room to start the test, when the xray tech, Trevor, came to get me. Joan called out, "I don't want to hear any screaming back there!" And I said, "Hopefully it will be HIM and not ME!" One of the receptionists burst out laughing. Score.
   I also got Trevor pretty good, between the arthrogram and the MRI. The doc left and he said, "You did great! That wasn't so bad, was it?" And I emphatically said, "Thank GOD I've only got two hips!!"
   I've only drawn one cartoon so far and haven't scanned it yet (I mean, can you really beat that picture above?), so 'til then, please enjoy a recap of my first experience with an MRA.
   I've realized in these few months that I can manage the pain, at least for now, by changing my activities: less running, more swimming, and don't get all crazy with the yoga. Ankles do not necessarily belong behind your head anyway. Ironically, almost twenty miles of hiking in Maui didn't phase me, nor did all the walking, snorkeling and Scuba. What have we learned? Yes: I should live in Maui.
   Coincidentally, today Keion shared a quote by poet Lucille Clifton that seems appropriate: “Come celebrate with me that everyday something has tried to kill me and failed.” So I polished off the evening with a fun chat, a long, hot bath and a glass of wine.

No comments:

Post a Comment