Sunday, August 14, 2011

2011 Race For the Cure

Securing my headphones at the start of the race
   This morning I ran the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure for the third consecutive year. My times have been pretty uneven, as I was in great shape in '09, still in good shape but injured in '10, and feeling good this year but nowhere near back to my '09 level of speed. I was hoping to  average under 9 minute miles, but according to the chip timing I didn't. According to my Nike iFit, I did, because the course was long! Hmm... Well, I beat my time last year, so I'm happy. I came in at 28:38.41 (9'14"/mile), 715th place overall, 38th in my age group. That doesn't sound very good until you know that there were 30,000 people registered this year! Awesome!
Past the new performing arts center...
   Of course, the REAL reason I run isn't for time, it's to honor those who have survived and those who have lost the battle with breast cancer. My grandmothers were survivors. 1 in 8 women will be diagnosed, and I don't like those odds. So we have to find a cure!
   Afterward, I was off to my usual after-race breakfast spot, Eggtc., for my usual Primo sandwich (scrambled eggs, cheddar and bacon on sourdough, with potatoes and tons of Cholula). Yum.

No comments:

Post a Comment